2 min read

DC Resident but my Income Taxes are Being Withheld in Virginia


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

The scenario you describe is not uncommon. When you moved to Washington, D.C., you updated your address with your employers, but it appears you didn't update your W-2 withholding form. Many people assume that the state of residence automatically determines state income tax withholding, but it's not always the case. State income tax withholding typically depends on the information provided in your W-4 or W-2 form.

The Resolution Process

To rectify this situation, follow these steps:

  1. Update Your Withholding: As you've already done, make sure to update your withholding status with your employer to reflect your new residence in Washington, D.C. This will ensure that your future income is taxed correctly.
  2. File a Virginia Nonresident Tax Return: You will need to file a Virginia nonresident tax return for the period from January to the date you officially became a resident of Washington, D.C. This is essential to avoid any penalties or complications during tax season.
  3. Calculate the Correct Taxes: On your Virginia nonresident tax return, you will report your income earned in Virginia during the period you were a Virginia resident. You will need to calculate the tax liability based on Virginia's tax rates.
  4. Determine Tax Credits: You may be eligible for a credit on your Washington, D.C. tax return for taxes paid to another state. This will help you avoid double taxation and ensure you don't pay taxes to both Virginia and D.C. for the same income.
  5. Consult a Tax Professional: While you're taking these steps, it's advisable to consult a tax professional. They can provide guidance, ensure you complete the necessary forms accurately, and help you make the most of any available tax credits.

Potential Outcomes

Here are a few potential outcomes based on your actions and the tax laws of Virginia and Washington, D.C.:

  1. Full Refund: If you've paid more in taxes to Virginia than your actual tax liability for the period you lived there, you may be entitled to a refund from Virginia. This refund will come directly to you.
  2. Penalty: If you fail to file the Virginia nonresident tax return or if you underpay your taxes, you may incur penalties or interest charges. It's crucial to act promptly to avoid these penalties.
  3. State Credits: You should receive credits on your Washington, D.C. return for taxes paid to Virginia. This will reduce your D.C. tax liability and potentially offset any excess Virginia taxes you paid.


Moving to a new state can be a thrilling journey, but it can also bring unexpected tax challenges. If you find yourself in a situation where your state income taxes have been withheld incorrectly due to a cross-border move, it's essential to act promptly to rectify the situation. Updating your withholding, filing the necessary nonresident tax returns, and seeking professional guidance can help you navigate the complexities of state income taxes and ensure that you don't overpay or incur penalties. Remember, it's always best to consult with a tax professional who can provide personalized advice and assistance tailored to your unique circumstances.