3 min read

Filing Taxes for Children Under 18: A Comprehensive Guide


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

When it comes to filing taxes for children under 18, many parents and guardians find themselves in a state of confusion. It's understandable; the tax code can be complex, and it's not always clear how to navigate the rules when it comes to minors. However, with the right information and guidance, the process can be much smoother. In this comprehensive guide, we'll break down the ins and outs of filing taxes for children under 18. By the end of this article, you'll have a better understanding of the rules and responsibilities, and you'll be better equipped to make informed decisions about your child's tax situation.

Understanding the Basics

1. Who Needs to File Taxes?

The first question you might have is whether your child needs to file taxes at all. Generally, if your child is under 18 and has unearned income (such as interest, dividends, and capital gains) that exceeds a certain threshold, they may be required to file taxes. In 2022, the threshold for this requirement is $1,100. However, keep in mind that earned income, like money from a part-time job, can be exempt from this requirement up to a certain limit.

2. Types of Income

To determine whether your child needs to file taxes, it's crucial to understand the types of income they might have. The two primary categories are:

a. Unearned Income: This includes income from investments, like savings accounts, stocks, or bonds. For most minors, unearned income is the most common reason they may need to file taxes.

b. Earned Income: Money your child earns from working, whether through a part-time job or self-employment. In some cases, earned income may be subject to taxation as well.

3. Filing Status

Your child's filing status depends on several factors, including their age, income, and dependency status. The three primary filing statuses for minors are:

a. Single: If your child is not married and does not qualify for any other filing status, they will file as "Single."

b. Dependent: If you provide most of the financial support for your child and they do not meet the criteria for self-sufficiency, they are likely to be your dependent.

c. Qualifying Widow(er): This status may apply to your child if they are widowed or a surviving spouse.

Tax Benefits for Parents and Guardians

1. Child Tax Credit

As a parent or guardian, you may be eligible for the Child Tax Credit, which can provide significant tax savings. In 2022, this credit can be worth up to $3,000 per child under 18. It's important to understand the eligibility requirements and income thresholds to maximize this credit.

2. Dependent Exemptions

If your child is a dependent, you may be able to claim a dependent exemption. This can reduce your taxable income, potentially lowering your overall tax liability.

Reporting Your Child's Income

1. Form 8814

If your child is under 18 and has unearned income, you may be required to report that income using Form 8814. This form is designed specifically for children with investment income. It calculates the child's tax liability based on their unearned income and allows parents to report the income on their own tax return.

2. Kiddie Tax

The "Kiddie Tax" rules were designed to prevent parents from shifting income to their children to lower their own tax liability. If your child has significant unearned income, a portion of it may be subject to higher tax rates. Understanding these rules is crucial to avoid unexpected tax consequences.

Strategies to Minimize Taxes

1. Contribute to a 529 College Savings Plan

A 529 College Savings Plan is an excellent way to save for your child's education while enjoying potential tax benefits. Contributions to a 529 plan are not deductible on your federal tax return, but the earnings in the account grow tax-free, and withdrawals for qualified education expenses are also tax-free.

2. Explore Custodial Accounts

Custodial accounts, such as UGMA (Uniform Gifts to Minors Act) and UTMA (Uniform Transfers to Minors Act) accounts, can be a useful way to manage your child's investments. These accounts allow you to invest on their behalf while retaining control until they reach the age of majority.

The Importance of Seeking Professional Advice

Navigating the intricacies of tax laws and regulations can be challenging, especially when dealing with taxes for children under 18. To ensure you're making the best decisions for your child's financial future and minimizing tax liabilities, it's highly advisable to consult a tax advisor.

Contact a Tax Advisor Today

Filing taxes for children under 18 can be a complex and nuanced process. To ensure you're making the right choices and taking advantage of available tax benefits, consider reaching out to a tax advisor. A qualified professional can help you navigate the rules and regulations, maximize tax savings, and make informed decisions for your child's financial well-being. Don't hesitate to contact a tax advisor today and secure a brighter future for your child.