3 min read

Filing Taxes: What to Do When You Forget a W-2


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Filing taxes can be a daunting task for many individuals. There are numerous forms to fill out, documents to gather, and rules to follow. One common mistake that people make is forgetting to include a W-2 form when filing their taxes. This can lead to complications, but don't worry – there are steps you can take to rectify the situation and avoid potential penalties. In this blog post, we'll walk you through what to do when you've forgotten to include a W-2 while filing your taxes.

The Importance of W-2 Forms

Before we dive into the steps to take when you've forgotten a W-2, let's briefly discuss the significance of these forms. W-2 forms, issued by employers, detail your income and taxes withheld throughout the year. They are essential for accurate tax reporting and are typically needed to complete your tax return.

Realizing the Mistake

The first step in addressing the issue of a missing W-2 is to recognize the mistake. Sometimes, in the hustle and bustle of tax season, it's easy to overlook a piece of paper or a digital document. You may realize your error shortly after filing or only after receiving a notice from the IRS. Either way, acknowledging the oversight is the first crucial step.

When You Realize Your Mistake After Filing

If you've already filed your taxes and then discover the missing W-2, it's not too late to correct the error. The IRS offers a solution in the form of an amended return, called Form 1040X. This form allows you to make changes to your previously filed return. You'll need to fill out the corrected information, including the missing W-2 details, and provide an explanation for the changes made.

Requesting the Missing W-2

Once you've realized that you've forgotten a W-2, the next step is to obtain a copy of the missing form. This typically involves contacting your employer or former employer.

Contacting Your Employer

Get in touch with your current or former employer and request a copy of your missing W-2. They are required by law to provide you with this document, and they may be able to send it to you electronically or by mail. Make sure to provide them with your up-to-date contact information to ensure smooth communication.

Requesting a Wage and Income Transcript

If you encounter difficulty in obtaining the missing W-2 from your employer, you can request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS. This document contains the income information reported to the IRS by your employer. While it won't be as detailed as the W-2, it can serve as a valuable resource for accurately filling out your tax return.

Completing Your Tax Return with the Missing W-2

Once you have your missing W-2 in hand, you can now complete your tax return accurately.

Filling Out Your Amended Return

If you discovered the error after filing, as mentioned earlier, you'll need to file an amended return (Form 1040X). Include the missing W-2 information in the corrected return, and make sure to explain the changes made. This form allows you to adjust your income, deductions, and credits as necessary.

Filing on Time

If you haven't filed your taxes yet, include the missing W-2 with your return when you submit it. Ensure that all the information is accurate and up-to-date to avoid further complications.

Avoiding Penalties

Filing taxes without a W-2 can lead to potential penalties, especially if you knowingly omit it. The IRS may impose penalties for underreporting income or not filing on time. By taking prompt action to rectify the situation, you can minimize the risk of these penalties.

The Importance of Seeking Professional Advice

Filing taxes correctly can be challenging, and dealing with missing or incorrect information can make the process even more complex. This is where professional advice can be invaluable.

Contacting a Tax Advisor

If you're unsure about how to handle your missing W-2, or if you have concerns about other aspects of your tax return, it's a wise decision to contact a tax advisor. They can provide guidance, help you navigate the IRS procedures, and ensure that you file your taxes accurately and on time.


Filing taxes is a responsibility that we all must face, and making mistakes is a part of the process. Forgetting to include a W-2 is a common error, but it's one that can be resolved. By recognizing the mistake, obtaining the missing W-2, and filing an amended return if necessary, you can avoid potential penalties and ensure that your taxes are filed correctly.

Remember, if you're ever in doubt about your tax situation, seeking the advice of a tax advisor can make the process smoother and less stressful. So, take action, correct your mistake, and file your taxes with confidence. Don't let a missing W-2 be a source of anxiety – address it, and keep moving forward toward financial peace of mind.