3 min read

A Comprehensive Guide to Filling Out Your W-4 Form for Chick-fil-A


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Starting a new job is an exciting endeavor, and as you embark on this journey with Chick-fil-A, it's essential to ensure that you handle your tax paperwork correctly. Filling out your W-4 form is an important step that determines how much tax will be withheld from your paychecks. While we can offer general guidance on this matter, it's crucial to keep in mind that tax situations can be complex and vary from person to person. Therefore, it's always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or advisor to make sure you're on the right track.

In this comprehensive guide, we'll address your specific situation and provide advice on how to complete your W-4 form while aiming to avoid owing money during tax season and possibly receiving a tax refund.

Understanding Your W-4 Form

Before we dive into the details of your specific case, let's discuss the basics of the W-4 form. This form is used to determine the amount of federal and state income tax to withhold from your paychecks. By accurately completing your W-4, you can optimize your withholding to align with your tax liability.

Your Marital Status and Filing Options

In your case, you mentioned that you are married, and you're considering filing as "Married, Filing Jointly." This is a common filing status for married couples, and it often leads to favorable tax rates and deductions. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

  1. Assess Your Total Household Income: When you and your spouse both work, it's crucial to evaluate your combined income. In some cases, "Married, Filing Jointly" might result in a higher tax liability compared to two individual returns. Nevertheless, it's still a popular choice for many married couples.
  2. Consider Your Spouse's W-4: If your spouse also works, they should complete their own W-4 form. Together, you can ensure that your total tax withholding is appropriate for your joint income. It may involve adjustments to your allowances or additional withholdings.

Completing the Allowances Section

In the allowances section of the W-4 form, you will see that you can claim a certain number of allowances. The more allowances you claim, the less tax will be withheld from your paychecks. Claiming fewer allowances will result in more significant withholdings. Here's how you can navigate this section:

  1. Claiming "2" for State Tax: You mentioned that you read about claiming "2" in the Withholding Allowances for State Tax because you are married and have only one source of income. This is generally a reasonable choice. Claiming "2" allowances for state tax will take into account the standard allowance for you and your spouse as a married couple. It aims to prevent you from significantly overpaying state taxes throughout the year.
  2. Federal Allowances: When it comes to federal allowances, you have more flexibility. The number of allowances you claim will impact your federal tax withholding. The higher the number, the less tax is withheld, and vice versa. To reduce the likelihood of owing money during tax season and potentially receive a refund, you can consider claiming fewer allowances on your federal W-4.

Additional Withholdings

In addition to your allowances, you have the option to request additional withholdings. This can be a useful strategy if you want to ensure that you don't owe money at tax time. You mentioned considering adding $10 for both federal and state, for a total of $20 in additional withholdings. This is a prudent move, as it helps to cover any potential tax liability.

Keep in mind that the amount you choose for additional withholdings will depend on your estimated tax liability. If you have concerns about under-withholding, increasing your additional withholdings can be a good approach to prevent a tax bill at the end of the year.

Calculating Your Withholdings

To estimate the appropriate number of allowances and additional withholdings, you can use the IRS's online withholding calculator or a worksheet provided with the W-4 form. These tools help you determine the right balance between maximizing your take-home pay and ensuring you're adequately withholding for taxes.


Filling out your W-4 form is a crucial step in managing your tax obligations when starting a new job, especially in your unique situation as a married individual with one source of income. While we've provided guidance in this blog post, it's important to remember that tax matters can be intricate. To ensure that you're on the right track and that your W-4 reflects your specific financial situation accurately, it's highly recommended to consult with a tax professional or advisor.

Ultimately, by completing your W-4 form thoughtfully, adjusting your allowances, and considering additional withholdings, you can work toward avoiding unexpected tax bills and even potentially receive a tax refund when the tax season arrives. Your goal of financial stability and peace of mind is achievable with the right approach to your tax withholding.