2 min read

Tax Obligations for Australian Citizens in the US: Navigating Bank Bonuses


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Living and working in a foreign country can be an exciting adventure, but it also comes with various responsibilities, including understanding your tax obligations. If you are an Australian citizen spending time in the United States, perhaps for a few months or even longer, and have taken advantage of bank bonuses, you might be wondering whether you need to file taxes in the U.S. This blog post aims to provide you with some insights into the tax implications of such activities.

Residency Status

The first thing to consider when assessing your U.S. tax obligations is your residency status. The U.S. tax system distinguishes between residents and non-residents for tax purposes. You can be a resident for tax purposes even if you are not a U.S. citizen. If you meet the substantial presence test or have a green card, you are considered a U.S. tax resident. Non-residents, on the other hand, are generally only taxed on their U.S. source income.

U.S. Source Income

If you are a non-resident alien in the U.S., your primary concern when it comes to taxes will be U.S. source income. Income derived from U.S. sources may include wages earned while working in the U.S., income from investments located in the U.S., and various other types of income generated within the country.

Bank bonuses, like those you've mentioned, are generally considered to be income, and whether they are considered U.S. source income depends on the specific terms and conditions of the bonus and the bank's location.

Taxation of Bank Bonuses

Bank bonuses can be subject to taxation in the U.S. if they are considered U.S. source income. However, the treatment of these bonuses may vary depending on several factors:

A. Visa Status: If you are in the U.S. on a specific visa, such as an F-1 student visa or a J-1 exchange visitor visa, you might have certain tax benefits or exemptions. These exemptions might apply to some types of income, including bank bonuses, depending on the conditions of your visa.

B. Tax Treaties: The U.S. has tax treaties with many countries, including Australia. These treaties can affect how income is taxed and whether certain types of income are exempt or subject to reduced tax rates. To determine the exact tax treatment, you should consult the tax treaty between the U.S. and Australia.

C. Reporting Thresholds: Even if your bank bonuses are considered U.S. source income, you may not be required to file a U.S. tax return if the income is below a certain threshold. The thresholds vary depending on your filing status and whether you have any other income in the U.S.

Filing a U.S. Tax Return

If you determine that your bank bonuses are indeed U.S. source income and that you are required to file a U.S. tax return, you should follow the IRS guidelines for filing your taxes. This typically involves completing the appropriate tax forms, reporting your income, and potentially claiming any applicable deductions or credits.


While the tax implications of bank bonuses for Australian citizens in the U.S. can be complex, it's essential to understand your specific situation and seek professional advice if necessary. The key factors to consider include your residency status, visa type, tax treaties, and reporting thresholds. Ultimately, compliance with U.S. tax laws is essential to avoid potential penalties or legal issues.

To ensure you are meeting your U.S. tax obligations correctly and maximizing any available benefits, it is strongly recommended to consult with a tax professional or tax advisor who can provide tailored guidance based on your individual circumstances. By doing so, you can navigate the U.S. tax system confidently and enjoy your time in the United States without undue tax-related worries.