3 min read

Managing International Income as a Non-Resident: A Guide for Jordanian Citizens


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Navigating international financial transactions and tax obligations can be a complex and challenging endeavor. This is especially true for individuals like you, a Jordanian citizen working as an independent contractor for a US-based company while residing in Jordan. In your particular situation, you have a Chase bank account in the United States and a Wise (formerly TransferWise) account in Germany, raising questions about the legal implications of receiving your income in these accounts. In this blog post, we will explore the potential tax and legal considerations you need to be aware of while working as an independent contractor and managing your income across borders.

Understanding Tax Implications:

  1. Tax Residency:
    It's important to clarify your tax residency status. Tax rules can vary from one country to another, and determining your tax residency can be crucial in understanding your obligations. As a non-resident in the United States, you may not be subject to US federal income tax on your earnings if they are not effectively connected to a US trade or business.
  2. International Tax Treaties:
    The United States has tax treaties with various countries, including Jordan and Germany. These treaties can affect how your income is taxed and which country has the primary taxing rights. It's advisable to consult the specific tax treaty between the US and Jordan to determine whether your income is subject to withholding taxes or other tax liabilities.
  3. Self-Employment Taxes:
    Since you are working as an independent contractor, you may be responsible for self-employment taxes. These taxes typically fund Social Security and Medicare, and the rules may apply differently to non-residents.
  4. Reporting Income to the IRS:
    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires non-resident aliens to report their income if it is subject to US tax. If you are eligible for any tax benefits or exemptions under the tax treaty, you may need to file the appropriate tax forms, such as Form 1040NR.

Handling Income with Chase Bank:

  1. Receiving Income in Your Chase Bank Account:
    While it is possible to receive income in your Chase bank account as a non-resident, you should be cautious about potential tax withholding and reporting requirements. It's essential to communicate with your US-based employer about the best way to handle the income to avoid any legal complications.
  2. Tax Withholding:
    Your US-based employer may be required to withhold taxes from your income if you do not provide a valid Form W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting). Discuss this with your employer and ensure proper documentation to minimize tax withholding.
  3. Consult a Tax Advisor:
    It is highly recommended that you consult with a tax advisor who is well-versed in international taxation. They can help you navigate the intricacies of US tax laws, ensure compliance, and minimize your tax liabilities.

Considerations for Wise Account in Germany:

  1. Receiving Income in Your Wise Account:
    Using a Wise account can be an efficient way to receive and manage your international income. However, you should be aware of German tax regulations and potential implications for your financial transactions.
  2. German Tax Regulations:
    Germany has its own tax laws, and as a resident or someone with a bank account in Germany, you may be subject to German taxation. You should consult local tax authorities or a German tax advisor to understand your obligations.


Managing international income as a non-resident can be complex, especially when dealing with multiple financial institutions and tax systems. In your case, it's essential to clarify your tax residency status, understand relevant tax treaties, communicate with your US employer about withholding, and consult a tax advisor for personalized guidance.

Receiving income in your Chase bank account may be a viable option if handled correctly, but you must ensure compliance with US tax regulations. Similarly, using your Wise account in Germany should be done in accordance with local tax laws.

In the absence of clear tax guidance in Jordan, it's wise to take a proactive approach to remain on the safe side. By working closely with professionals and staying informed, you can manage your international income effectively and minimize the risk of legal trouble or unexpected tax liabilities.