3 min read

Tax Implications of Receiving a Large Gift from Green Card Holder Parents in the US


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

The United States has a complex tax system, and one of the aspects that often confuses individuals is the reporting and taxation of gifts and foreign financial transactions. In your case, you are a US citizen, and your parents recently moved to the United States as green card holders. They are planning to return to their home country, sell their house, and transfer the proceeds, which exceed $200,000, to you. This situation raises questions about whether you, as the recipient of the gift, need to file Form 3520 or if your parents should file Form 709. In this blog post, we will explore the tax implications of such a scenario and provide guidance on which forms may be required.

Understanding the Basics

Before delving into the specific forms you might need to file, it's essential to grasp the fundamental concepts related to gift tax and foreign financial transactions in the US tax system.

  1. Gift Tax: The United States imposes a gift tax on the transfer of property by gift. However, the good news is that there is an annual gift tax exclusion, which allows individuals to give a certain amount of money or property to someone without incurring gift tax. As of my knowledge cutoff date in January 2022, this annual exclusion was $15,000 per recipient. Gifts that are within this limit generally do not trigger gift tax reporting requirements.
  2. Form 709 - United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return: This form is used by US citizens or residents who give gifts exceeding the annual exclusion amount during the tax year. It is important to note that the gift tax is typically paid by the donor, not the recipient.
  3. Form 3520 - Annual Return to Report Transactions with Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts: Form 3520 is used to report certain foreign financial transactions, including gifts from foreign individuals or entities. If you receive substantial gifts or bequests from foreign persons or foreign estates, you may have to file this form.

Determining the Applicability of Forms 3520 and 709

Now, let's apply this knowledge to your specific situation. Your parents, as green card holders, are considered US residents for tax purposes. Therefore, they are subject to US tax laws and requirements. In the case of your parents transferring money to you, the potential tax obligations would differ for them (the donors) and you (the recipient).

  1. Your Parents' Obligations:If your parents, as green card holders, are making a gift to a US citizen (you), they should be aware of the US gift tax rules. As of my last update in 2022, they would need to file Form 709 if the total value of gifts given during the calendar year exceeds the annual exclusion amount (which was $15,000 per recipient). However, any gift tax liability would only arise if they have exhausted their lifetime gift tax exemption, which was quite substantial (over $11 million per person in 2022). It's important for your parents to consult with a tax professional to ensure they are in compliance with these requirements.
  2. Your Obligations:As the recipient of the gift, your main concern would be reporting any foreign gifts you receive. If the money your parents are transferring to you exceeds $100,000 in value at any point during the tax year, you would generally be required to file Form 3520. Additionally, if the total value of all foreign gifts received from your parents exceeds $16,388 in 2022, you might need to file Form 3520 as well.


Receiving a substantial gift from green card holder parents in the US can involve complex tax implications. It's crucial for both the donors and the recipient to understand their potential obligations and to seek guidance from tax professionals to ensure compliance with US tax laws. As tax laws and regulations can change over time, it's essential to consult with a tax expert who can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice. This blog post is based on information available as of January 2022, and it is recommended that you verify the latest tax requirements with the IRS or a tax professional before taking any specific actions.