2 min read

Navigating State Taxes: Sign-On Bonuses and Cross-State Moves


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Moving to a new state for a job opportunity is an exciting step in one's career. However, it can also bring about a variety of financial considerations, especially when it comes to taxes. The question at hand revolves around the tax implications of a sign-on bonus received after relocating from California to Washington in late 2023. To tackle this issue, it's essential to delve into the complex world of state income taxes and the rules that apply in such situations.

Before we get into the specifics of this particular case, it's important to note that tax laws and regulations can be convoluted and ever-changing. For that reason, it's highly advisable to consult with a qualified tax advisor or professional who can provide you with personalized guidance tailored to your unique circumstances. They will be able to assess your situation, consider all relevant factors, and provide you with a clear and accurate picture of your tax liability.

Now, let's break down the scenario at hand and explore the factors that come into play when determining whether you'll be subject to California income tax on the sign-on bonus.

  1. Residency Rules:
    California has some of the most intricate state tax rules in the United States, especially when it comes to determining residency. They follow the principle of "domicile" and "physical presence," which means that simply moving out of the state does not automatically relieve you of your California tax obligations. You need to establish residency in your new state to cut ties with California officially.
  2. California Sourced Income:
    California taxes its residents on their worldwide income, including income earned both within and outside the state. However, when you move to a new state and establish residency there, your out-of-state income may become exempt from California state income tax.
  3. Sign-On Bonus Timing:
    The timing of when you receive the sign-on bonus is critical in this situation. If you receive the bonus after moving to Washington and officially becoming a resident of that state, you may not be subject to California income tax on that bonus. However, if you receive it while still a California resident, it will likely be subject to California income tax.
  4. The 183-Day Rule:
    In addition to the timing of the bonus, California also has a "183-day rule." If you spend more than 183 days in California during the year, you may be considered a California resident, even if you have a new residence in Washington. This could affect your tax liability for the sign-on bonus.
  5. Tax Treaty Considerations:
    Another factor to consider is whether there is a tax treaty or reciprocal agreement between California and Washington. Such agreements can impact how income is taxed when someone moves between the two states.
  6. Double Taxation:
    It's worth noting that some states may offer a tax credit for taxes paid to another state to avoid double taxation. In your case, this might help mitigate any potential double taxation issues.

Ultimately, the answer to whether you'll have to pay California income taxes on the sign-on bonus depends on your specific circumstances and how they align with California's tax rules. To make an informed decision and plan accordingly, it's crucial to consult a tax advisor who can provide you with a detailed analysis and recommend the best course of action.

In conclusion, moving between states and dealing with income tax implications can be a complex process, especially when a significant amount of money, such as a sign-on bonus, is involved. To ensure you are making the right choices and minimizing your tax liability, seek the advice of a tax professional who can guide you through the intricacies of state tax laws and regulations. Your financial future and peace of mind are well worth the investment in expert advice.