3 min read

Navigating the Maze of Filing Status: Newlyweds and Tax Return Woes


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Filing your tax return can be a daunting task, even for those with uncomplicated financial situations. For newlyweds like your brother-in-law and his wife, the process can be particularly overwhelming, especially if there seems to be a discrepancy in their filing status. It's essential to address this issue carefully, as misreporting your filing status can lead to penalties and potential IRS scrutiny.

Before delving into the specifics of your brother-in-law and his wife's situation, it's important to understand the various filing statuses and their implications. Filing status plays a crucial role in determining your tax liability, as well as your eligibility for certain deductions and credits. The IRS recognizes five primary filing statuses:

  1. Single: This status is for individuals who are unmarried, divorced, or legally separated as of the last day of the tax year.
  2. Head of Household: This status typically applies to unmarried individuals who provide a home for a qualifying child or dependent. It often results in more favorable tax rates and larger standard deductions.
  3. Married Filing Jointly: Married couples can choose to file a joint return, combining their income and deductions. This status often offers more tax benefits than filing separately.
  4. Married Filing Separately: Couples can also choose to file separate returns. This status may be preferred in certain situations, but it can limit access to certain tax benefits.
  5. Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child: This filing status applies to surviving spouses with dependent children and is available for two years after the spouse's death.

In the case you presented, your brother-in-law's wife seems to have mistakenly filed as "Single, Head of Household." This filing status is designed for unmarried individuals who are responsible for maintaining a home for a dependent child or relative. It's clear that there was a communication breakdown between her and her tax preparer, leading to a potentially erroneous filing status.

Your initial instinct was right. In most cases, when a couple gets married during the tax year, they should generally choose to file as "Married Filing Jointly" or "Married Filing Separately." This is true even if they got married on the last day of the tax year. Filing as "Single" or "Head of Household" is not appropriate for a married individual.

So, how can your brother-in-law and his wife address this issue with the IRS and correct their tax returns? Here are some steps to consider:

  1. Contact the Tax Preparer: First and foremost, it's important to reach out to the tax preparer who handled your brother-in-law's wife's return. Clarify the situation and ensure they understand that the correct filing status for a married couple should be "Married Filing Jointly" or "Married Filing Separately."
  2. Amend the Tax Return: If the tax preparer acknowledges the mistake, they should help your brother-in-law's wife amend her return to reflect the appropriate filing status. An amended return can be filed using Form 1040-X. This form allows taxpayers to correct errors on their previously filed returns.
  3. Notify the IRS: If the return has already been submitted, your brother-in-law's wife should notify the IRS of the correction. This can be done by filing an amended return or by sending a letter explaining the situation, along with the corrected return.
  4. Review the Brother-in-Law's Return: Now, your brother-in-law should thoroughly review his own return to ensure it reflects the appropriate filing status. If he also filed as "Single," he should follow the same steps to amend his return.
  5. Seek Professional Advice: While the situation may appear straightforward, it's always advisable to consult with a tax advisor or a qualified tax professional. They can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances. Tax laws can be complex, and professional expertise can help avoid potential pitfalls and ensure the correct filing status is applied.

In conclusion, while the issue may seem straightforward, it's crucial to address it correctly. Misreporting your filing status to the IRS can lead to complications down the line. Make sure to consult with a tax advisor to navigate the process effectively, and remember that it's better to address and correct any discrepancies sooner rather than later. Your brother-in-law and his wife can rectify this situation and move forward with peace of mind.