3 min read

The Consequences of a Missed Decimal on Your Taxes


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Tax season can be a stressful time for many individuals and families. There are so many numbers and forms to keep track of, and one small mistake can have significant consequences. This was the case for one couple who recently reached out with a question about their taxes. They had missed a decimal place while filing their taxes online, resulting in a significant error that left them owing a large sum of money to the IRS. In this blog post, we will discuss the issue of a missed decimal on your taxes and what steps you can take to rectify the situation.

The Mistake

In this specific case, the couple made a simple mistake while entering their mortgage interest on their tax return. Instead of entering $7,000, they accidentally entered $700,000. This seemingly small error had a significant impact on their tax return, causing it to show a much higher refund than expected. The couple didn't catch this mistake during their double-checking process and proceeded to file their taxes.

They assumed the increase in their refund was due to the 2021 First-time Homebuyer Tax Credit. However, they were unaware that this credit was no longer in effect, and the increase in their refund was actually due to the error in their mortgage interest amount.

The CP2000 Notice

After filing their taxes, the couple received a CP2000 notice from the IRS. This notice is sent when the information reported on your tax return does not match the information the IRS has received from other sources, such as your employer or financial institutions.

In this case, the IRS had received information from the couple's mortgage lender stating that they had paid $7,000 in mortgage interest, not $700,000 as reported on their tax return. This triggered the CP2000 notice, which stated that the couple owed an additional $12,600 in taxes, plus a $2,500 penalty for underpayment and $1,500 in interest.


The consequences of this mistake were significant for the couple. They now owed a total of $16,600 to the IRS, which was a substantial amount for them. They were worried about draining their savings and the financial strain it would cause. They were also concerned about the penalty and interest charges, which would only add to their overall tax bill.

What to Do Next

If you find yourself in a similar situation, the first thing you should do is not panic. It's essential to remain calm and take the necessary steps to rectify the situation. The next step is to consult with a tax professional or advisor. They will be able to review your tax return and the CP2000 notice and advise you on the best course of action.

In this case, the couple could have avoided this mistake if they had consulted with a tax professional before filing their taxes. A tax professional would have been able to catch the error and prevent the consequences they are now facing.

Options for Resolving the Issue

There are a few options for resolving the issue of a missed decimal on your taxes. The first option is to file an amended tax return. This involves submitting a corrected tax return with the correct mortgage interest amount. If done within a certain timeframe, this may reduce or eliminate the penalty and interest charges.

Another option is to set up a payment plan with the IRS. This allows you to pay the amount owed in installments over time, making it more manageable. However, keep in mind that penalties and interest will still continue to accrue until the full amount is paid.


In conclusion, a simple mistake like a missed decimal can have significant consequences on your taxes. It's essential to double-check all the numbers and consult with a tax professional before filing your taxes. If you do receive a CP2000 notice, don't panic. Instead, seek the advice of a tax professional to determine the best course of action for resolving the issue and minimizing the financial impact. Remember, it's always better to catch and correct mistakes before filing your taxes than to deal with the consequences later on.

If you have any further questions or concerns, it's always best to consult with a tax professional for personalized advice. They will be able to provide you with the guidance and support you need to navigate the complex world of taxes.