2 min read

Understanding the Tax Implications of Living with a Relative and Paying for Childcare


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and sometimes, circumstances might lead us to live with a relative. Whether it's due to financial reasons, or simply the need for extra support and care, living with a relative can be a great solution. However, this living arrangement can also bring up questions about taxes, especially if you are paying for childcare. In this blog post, we'll dive into the details of how living with a relative and paying for childcare can impact your taxes.

Moving in with a Relative - The Tax Perspective

First and foremost, let's address the fact that you have moved in with your mother-in-law (MIL). From a tax perspective, this living arrangement is considered "shared living" or "dual occupancy." This means that you and your MIL are both living in the same residence, and you are both responsible for certain expenses such as rent, utilities, and groceries. However, it's important to note that even though you are living in the same household, you and your MIL are still considered separate tax entities.

Now, let's focus on the childcare aspect of your question. As you mentioned, your MIL watches your daughter during the day, and you pay her weekly for this service. This raises the question - do you need to report the amount you pay her for childcare?

Reporting Childcare Expenses

The short answer is yes, you do need to report the amount you pay your MIL for childcare. The reason for this is that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers childcare expenses to be a form of income for your MIL. Therefore, she is required to report this income on her tax return. This means that you will need to provide her with a 1099 or W-2 form at the end of the year, which shows the total amount you paid her for childcare.

On your end, you will also need to report the amount you paid your MIL for childcare on your tax return. This expense falls under the category of "dependent care expenses," and can potentially provide you with tax benefits.

Childcare Tax Benefits

As a parent, you know that childcare expenses can add up quickly. Fortunately, the IRS offers some relief in the form of tax benefits for those who are paying for childcare. The main benefit is the Child and Dependent Care Credit, which allows you to claim a portion of your childcare expenses as a credit on your tax return. This credit can significantly reduce your tax liability and potentially result in a higher tax refund.

However, there are some requirements that you must meet in order to claim this credit. One of the main requirements is that the childcare must have been necessary for you to work or look for work. Since you are paying your MIL for childcare while you work, you should be able to meet this requirement.

Consult with a Tax Advisor

While the information provided in this blog post is intended to give you a general understanding of the tax implications of living with a relative and paying for childcare, it's always best to consult with a tax advisor for personalized advice. They can help you navigate through the various tax laws and deductions, and ensure that you are reporting everything accurately.

In conclusion, living with a relative and paying for childcare can have tax implications for both parties involved. It's important to report the amount you pay for childcare and understand the potential tax benefits that you may be eligible for. By consulting with a tax advisor, you can ensure that you are reporting everything correctly and potentially maximize your tax savings.