2 min read

Navigating Taxes as a Multiple Income Earner


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

As the economy continues to shift and more people are working multiple jobs or side hustles, it's becoming increasingly common to have a variety of income sources. This can make tax season a bit more complicated, especially if you're used to just filing a single W2. As someone who has seven W2's and two 1099's, it's clear that you fall into this category. Let's explore some key points to keep in mind as you navigate your taxes this year.

The Importance of Speaking with a Tax Advisor

First and foremost, it's important to acknowledge that every person's tax situation is unique. While there is plenty of information available online, it's always best to speak with a tax advisor to ensure you are taking the appropriate steps for your specific situation. They can provide personalized advice and help you maximize your deductions and credits. So, before making any major decisions, be sure to consult with a tax advisor.

Understanding Your Income Sources

As you mentioned, you have a combination of W2 and 1099 income. This means you were both an employee and an independent contractor during the fiscal year. It's important to understand the difference between these two types of income as it will impact how you report your earnings and expenses.

W2 income is typically from traditional employment where taxes are automatically withheld from your paychecks. On the other hand, 1099 income is considered self-employment income, where taxes are not automatically taken out and it's your responsibility to pay them.

Reporting Your Income and Expenses

When it comes to reporting your income, you will receive a W2 from each employer and a 1099 from each client you did independent contractor work for. It's important to keep track of all these forms and make sure they are accurate. If you notice any discrepancies, be sure to address them with the appropriate party.

Now, onto your question about itemizing your expenses. As an independent contractor, you are able to deduct business-related expenses from your 1099 income. This includes things like vehicle expenses, supplies, and any other costs directly related to your work. You will need to fill out a Schedule C form to report these expenses and calculate your net income from self-employment. This amount will then be included in your overall income on your tax return.

However, it's important to note that your expenses will only be deductible if they exceed the standard deduction. This means that if your expenses do not exceed the standard deduction, it may not be worth it to itemize and you may be better off taking the standard deduction. This is where speaking with a tax advisor can be helpful in determining the best course of action for your specific situation.

Declaring Your Income as a Business

Another question you may have is whether or not you should declare your 1099 income as a business. This decision depends on various factors, such as the amount of income you receive and the nature of your work. If you make over a certain threshold, you may be required to register as a business. Again, this is something to discuss with a tax advisor.

Tax Preparation Costs

Finally, you may be wondering about the cost of tax preparation with your multiple income sources. This will ultimately depend on the complexity of your situation and the services provided by your tax advisor. It's best to inquire about the cost upfront and budget accordingly.

In conclusion, having multiple income sources can make tax season a bit more complicated, but with the help of a tax advisor, you can navigate it successfully. Be sure to gather all your forms and receipts, and consult with a tax advisor to ensure you are accurately reporting your income and maximizing your deductions. With proper preparation and guidance, you can confidently file your taxes and hopefully receive a refund from your W2's and deductions from your 1099 income.