3 min read

Understanding Trusts and Capital Gains After a Loved One's Passing


Content provided for general information. Talk to your advisor to learn about recent updates or other rules that may apply to your situation.

Losing a loved one is never easy, and navigating the financial implications of their passing can be overwhelming. If your loved one had a trust and assets that were sold after their death, you may be wondering about the tax implications and where to turn for help. In this blog post, we will discuss the need to consult a tax advisor and provide some information to help you better understand trusts and capital gains after a loved one's passing. Please note that while this post provides general information, it is always best to consult with a tax professional for personalized advice.

Understanding Trusts

A trust is a legal arrangement that allows a third party, known as the trustee, to hold assets on behalf of the beneficiaries. This can be an effective way to pass on assets to loved ones after one's passing, as the assets held in the trust will not go through the probate process and can be distributed according to the terms of the trust.

In your situation, your father had a pour over will and trust, with his four children as beneficiaries and your oldest sister as the named trustee. This means that upon your father's passing, his assets, including his house and stocks, were transferred into the trust and managed by your sister as the trustee.

Capital Gains and Taxes on Trust Assets

When assets are sold from a trust, capital gains taxes may apply. Capital gains taxes are taxes paid on the profit made from selling an asset. In your case, your father's house and stocks were sold within a few months of his passing, and there were federal income taxes withheld from the sale of the stocks. This means that the trust will need to report the sale of these assets and pay any applicable taxes on the profits.

The capital gains tax will depend on the cost basis of the assets. The cost basis is the original value of the assets at the time they were acquired. In your situation, it seems that the assets were sold without claiming a step-up in basis. A step-up in basis means that the cost basis of the assets is adjusted to their value at the time of the owner's death, which can potentially lower the capital gains tax owed.

It is important to note that the trust will only owe taxes on the profits made from the sale of the assets. For example, if the stocks were sold for $250,000 and the cost basis was $200,000, the trust would only owe taxes on the $50,000 profit.

Reporting Trust Income and Taxes

Trust income and taxes are reported on Form 1041, the U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. This form is used to report any income received by the trust, as well as expenses and deductions. The trust will need to obtain a tax identification number (TIN) and file this form with the IRS.

As for your father's pension and IRA, the taxable portion for his last year of life (excluding anything sold after his death) will be reported on his final individual tax return. Any income from these assets received by the trust after your father's passing will be reported on Form 1041.

Do You Need to Consult a Lawyer or Tax Advisor?

As mentioned earlier, it is always best to consult with a tax professional for personalized advice. They can provide guidance on how to properly report trust income and taxes and help you understand the tax implications of selling trust assets. They can also assist with any estate tax considerations that may arise.

Additionally, you may want to consider consulting with a lawyer who specializes in trusts and estates. They can review the terms of the trust and ensure that all assets are properly transferred and distributed according to your father's wishes.


Coping with the loss of a loved one is never easy, and dealing with the financial aspects can add an extra layer of stress. If your loved one had a trust and assets that were sold after their passing, it is important to consult with a tax professional and possibly a lawyer to ensure that all taxes are properly reported and the trust is managed in accordance with your loved one's wishes. Remember, seeking professional help can provide peace of mind and alleviate some of the burden during this difficult time.