CP11 Notice: Miscalculation of Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit

Marketing disclosure: I may receive a fee if you choose to use linked products and services.

If you’ve received a CP11 Notice, the IRS believes you made a mistake on your tax return and owe additional tax. This is not an audit. The IRS has already made changes and is sending you a bill.

How to Verify a CP11 Notice

Your CP11 will be about something you included on your tax return. If it’s talking about deductions or credits you never heard about, it may be a scam. The one exception might be if it says you missed something, but that item should apply to your tax situation.

Your notice will look like this example on the IRS website. You can also go to irs.gov and look up the phone number to call. Never call the phone number on a notice you aren’t sure about, because if it’s a fake, the number will go to the scammers.

Why Does the IRS Send CP11 Notices?

The IRS sends CP11 Notices for miscalculations. You may have missed a step when completing your tax return, checked the wrong box, or entered something in the wrong line.

Should I Agree with a CP11 Notice?

When you receive your CP11 Notice, carefully read it and match it up to your tax return. If you see an obvious mistake and fully understand why the IRS is right, you’ll likely want to go ahead and agree with the IRS.

What If I’m Not Sure or Disagree?

The IRS may not always be right. In addition, just because you made an error doesn’t mean you truly owe that tax. The IRS may agree that you don’t owe money after you fix the error and/or supply additional documentation.

You can either follow the instructions on the CP11 Notice to respond, or you can hire an Enrolled Agent or other tax professional to help you. Some CP11s require very simple fixes, while others are more complicated, so whether you need help depends on how well you understand what the IRS changed and your comfort level in dealing with them.

Need personal help? Click here for additional free resources or to find an accountant, attorney, or other professional near youRemember: This blog post and the comments provide generalized information that may be out of date or inaccurate for your situation. Always schedule a personal consultation with an appropriate licensed professional in your area before taking action. For full terms of use, click here.

Have general questions about this post or want to learn more about a related topic? Please leave a comment at the bottom of the page. Comments are public, and I can’t provide individual advice, but it helps me make the posts more useful for the future. Please do not post personal information. If you need personal assistance, please contact the relevant government agency or hire an appropriate professional near you.

Be the first to comment on "CP11 Notice: Miscalculation of Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.