CP13A Notice: Changes to Your Earned Income Credit

A CP13A notice means the IRS made changes to your Earned Income Credit but it did not change what you owe.

The difference between a CP13 notice and a CP13A notice is that the CP13A is specifically for the Earned Income Credit, while the CP13 is for other issues.

Why does this IRS notice matter if my tax bill didn’t change?

There may be other errors on your tax return that mean you should have received a larger refund. The IRS can still audit the rest of your tax return at a later date. You may want to go back and review your entire tax return for accuracy.

With respect to the Earned Income Credit specifically, there is a chance the IRS may rule that you’re ineligible for the credit in the future if you made errors. Having adjustments to the credit in past years may also increase your audit risk in future years.

You should go back and make sure you claimed the credit properly and have proper supporting documentation. If you disagree with the IRS’s changes, you should respond even if it doesn’t change your liability this year. If you find other errors in your return, you should file an amended return.

What do I do if I agree with the IRS?

If you agree with the changes the IRS made, you don’t need to respond to the notice. In most cases, you won’t owe money. The changes may not have changed what you owe or been small enough that the IRS waived additional taxes.

Make sure you understand why the IRS made the changes so you don’t make a similar error next year. You may also want to get professional tax filing help.

How do I respond if I disagree?

If you disagree with the IRS, you can call the number on your CP13A notice or send a written explanation. You may need to provide supporting documentation showing why you’re entitled to the Earned Income Credit as you claimed it.

If you’re not sure what to do, ask a tax expert.


Disclaimer: This post is provided for general information only. The information may be outdated or may not fully cover the unique circumstances of your specific situation. Always consult with an appropriate professional before making important decisions.

Leave a Comment

All comments are public and may be posted with or without edits. Don't include any sensitive information. This is not the IRS — I did not send you a letter or hold your refund. Click here if you need professional advice about a specific situation.