IRS Letter 89C: You Need to File an Amended Return

If you received Letter 89C from the IRS, you need to file an amended tax return. You get this letter if you corresponded with the IRS and need to make changes to your tax return.

This post is provided for general information only. Please confirm the details and circumstances of your unique situation with your tax accountant or other appropriate advisor before taking action.

Why does the IRS send Letter 89C?

When you make an error on your tax return or leave something off, the IRS isn’t always able to fix it. Even if you give them the correct information, the changes may affect too much on your original tax return. The IRS will ask you to file an amended tax return to correct the problem.

What happens if I don’t file an amended tax return?

If you don’t file an amended tax return after receiving Letter 89C and you…

  • owe money, you may have to pay additional penalties and interest until you correct the problem.
  • are eligible for a refund, you may not receive your refund until you correct the problem.

What does filing an amended tax return do?

An amended tax return is filing a new tax return with corrected information. It replaces any tax forms where you made an error as well as any tax forms that used numbers from the tax form with the error.

How do you file an amended tax return?

Letter 89C will include a Form 1040X Amended Tax Return and any forms the IRS wants you to correct. Form 1040X summarizes the changes from your original tax return and your new amount due or refund owed.

You can complete the forms then mail or fax them to the IRS. If you don’t want to complete the forms by hand:

  1. Go back to your original tax filing software.
  2. Save a copy of your original tax return.
  3. Correct your tax return in the software.
  4. Print out both your original tax return and the corrected tax return.
  5. Enter the changes on Form 1040X.
  6. Submit the required forms to the IRS according to the instructions in your Letter 89C.

When will I receive my refund?

If you’re owed a refund, you will typically get it after you submit your amended return. The IRS says it takes up to 16 weeks to process amended returns then another 4-6 weeks to send a refund check. Use the IRS Where’s My Amended Return online tool to check the status of your amended return.

Did this post answer you question?

Click on a star to let me know.

As you found this post useful...

Share this post!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Sponsored Links: