Missouri Personal Property Tax Waiver

Content provided for general information. Talk to your tax advisor to confirm the details for your specific situation before taking action.

If you need to show proof that you paid your personal property taxes when you didn’t owe any, you can request a tax waiver.

When do you need a tax waiver?

The most common situation you may need a tax waiver is when registering a vehicle or renewing license plates. That’s why many people call a personal property tax waiver a vehicle tax waiver.

Normally, you have to show the DMV a personal property tax receipt showing that you don’t have unpaid personal property taxes. If you don’t show the tax receipt or a tax waiver, you won’t be allowed to register your vehicle.

You may also need to show a tax receipt or waiver for other services.

Who can get a tax waiver?

You can usually get a tax waiver if you fall into one of these categories:

  • You moved to Missouri after January 1st, so you didn’t have to pay property taxes for the specified tax year.

  • You’ve never owned a car or other asset subject to personal property taxes before.

  • You didn’t owe any taxable personal property as of January 1st for the tax year in question.

  • You’re a military member stationed in Missouri but Missouri is not your home of record (military papers required).

How do you get a tax waiver?

You can get a tax waiver or statement of non-assessment from your local tax assessor’s office. Most offices allow you to get it in person or online.

You will usually need to show proof that you qualify for non-assessment of property taxes.

Acceptable proof can include a new lease agreement, a title or other proof you just purchased a car, a military Leave and Earnings Statement, or other documents showing why you didn’t have to pay personal property tax for the prior year.

What if I was supposed to be paying taxes?

If you didn’t realize that you were required to pay personal property taxes in the previous year, you usually won’t be able to get a tax waiver. Instead, you’ll typically need to pay the back taxes plus any penalties so you can get a property tax receipt.


Need help with your taxes? Forst Tax offers year-round assistance with tax filing, tax planning, tax problem solving, and more. Click here to get started.

Leave a Comment