The processing time for Missouri tax refunds can vary depending on several factors, such as the complexity of your tax return, the accuracy of your information, and the volume of returns the Missouri Department of Revenue is processing at the time.
Generally, Missouri tax refunds are issued within 10 to 15 business days if the return was filed electronically and the refund is being deposited directly into a bank account. If you filed a paper return, it may take up to 8 weeks to receive your refund.
Checking the Status of Your Missouri Tax Refund
If you’re concerned about the status of your Missouri tax refund, you can check the status online using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool on the Missouri Department of Revenue website or by calling their automated refund inquiry line at 573-526-8299.
Missouri Tax Refund Delays
There are several reasons why a Missouri tax refund may be delayed. Some common reasons for refund delays include:
- Incomplete or inaccurate information: If there are errors or omissions in your tax return, it can cause delays in processing your refund.
- Additional review: If the Missouri Department of Revenue determines that your tax return needs additional review or audit, it may take longer to process your refund.
- Identity verification: If there is a discrepancy or potential fraud associated with your tax return, the Missouri Department of Revenue may need to verify your identity before issuing your refund.
- Filing a paper return: If you file a paper tax return instead of an electronic one, it may take longer to process your refund.
- Outstanding debt: If you owe back taxes, child support, or other government debts, the Missouri Department of Revenue may apply your refund to those outstanding balances.
Changes to Your Missouri Tax Refund
If you find that the Missouri Department of Revenue has changed the amount of your tax refund, you should receive a notice explaining the reason for the change. The notice should include instructions on how to dispute the change if you disagree with it.
Remember that changes do not always mean you should have gotten a smaller refund. You may have forgotten to include information that supports a bigger refund. Sometimes, the Missouri Department of Revenue just makes mistakes.
Getting Help with a Missouri Tax Refund
If you find that there is an issue with your refund, such as a delay or an error in the amount, you should contact the Missouri Department of Revenue for assistance. You can call their customer service line at 573-751-3505 or send an email to email@example.com.
When contacting the Department of Revenue, be sure to have your Social Security number or tax ID number, your tax year, and your refund amount available to provide to the representative. They may also ask you for additional information or documentation to help resolve the issue.