What Happens When the Referee Gets a Red Card?

Content provided for general information. Always talk to your tax advisor before making important decisions.

I may receive a referral fee if you use linked products or services.

If you’ve ever wondered what happens when the referee gets a red card, here’s what you need to know.

Can a referee get a red card?

A referee can’t get a red card during the game. The referee is the ultimate authority on the field.

If the referee does something bad, like insulting a player or hitting someone, it will depend on who else is around. If there are league officials present and the ARs and teams are both saying the referee should be removed, it will probably happen.

In most cases, teams will just have to put up with a bad referee. They can file a complaint later.

The referee does have the authority to dismiss the ARs. It won’t be a red card, but an AR can still be removed for bad behavior.

What happens if a referee gets a red card while playing?

Some people wrongly believe that referees have an obligation to never get a red card while playing. Referees have every right to play the game the same way as any other player on the field.

What referees can’t do is say that they’re a ref while arguing cards or trying to gain favor. That will usually result in a quick red card as well as a suspension as a referee.

For normal red cards, usually nothing will happen as a referee. The referee will just have to serve the suspension as a player.

In some youth organizations, any red card means a suspension from all activities. So if a referee gets a red card as a player or coach, he or she can’t ref again in that league until the player or coach suspension is over.

Thanks for reading.

If you found this post useful, please help others find it by sharing on social or linking from your blog.

Get monthly tips and tax reminders in your inbox.

Leave a Comment

You can leave an anonymous question or comment below. All comments are public, so please don't include any sensitive information. If you need personalized advice, please talk to a tax advisor or other appropriate professional.